Monday, April 28, 2008

Four Types of Love



Four Types of Love

The lecture today was interesting and was given by a good speaker, Judith Castle who used understandable language. She was also relaxed and made the class feel comfortable. She encouraged the students to speak and to ask questions. I actually liked this method of teaching.

The lecture was about the four different types of love: philia, romance, agape and eros. Miss Castle explained each of these kinds to us. Philia is the love of friends and is characterized by loyalty and trust; in this kind of love we need the support of our friends and their trust as well so that we can make good judgments. Romance is passionate and is characterized by falling in love with another person; in this kind of love endorphins are produced in the brain and this makes people have strong feelings for others. Agape is human caring and kindness that we show to other people, even to strangers; we have compassion and empathy for others. Eros is the love we have for ourselves; this is the amount we love what we do or who we are.

I learned that each person is powerless because we are all influenced by others. In terms of love this works so that we expect that others have the same kind of feelings about love that we do. After she explained the four kinds of love I realized that I do understand these different kinds. I have experienced all of them. This is the way the brain is constructed to understand these different kinds of love.

I enjoyed this lecture especially when she asked us if we won the lottery what we would do with the money. I was shy to answer her because she asked me first. I wanted to say that I would like to give money to charity and to help others but what I said was that I would buy a Ferrari and have a good time. What I really believe is that I would do both things. I would spend money on myself and I would help others.

7 comments:

Toby said...

really nice picture!!
may be that lion thought "nice lunch"

Alaa M said...

Hi Saad
could you please tell me the kind of love between that two lovers (lion & women)...
see you

Danka said...

Hey Saad!!! It´s really nice that you want to share with others too...

Emily said...

I got some same experiences with you. it was a very nice lecture

Sherry said...

Hi Saad,

I've been trying to send you an email and it keeps being bounced back. Do you have another email address you can send me?

Sherry

Alaa A said...

cnice writing and a very expressive picture!!!

mehrnaz said...

hey i like the picture.i think it feel good and romantic but u know that its true that a lion was in love with a woman but i don`t knwo end of the story but i`ve heard it from several people.